5 benefits of facial toner you never knew
As more and more skincare products hit the market, touting all sorts of (super)powers, it is very easy to get caught up in the barrage of #nowtrending beauty products. But there’s often one understated product that’s been around for-friggin-ever that is starting to make a comeback: (drum roll…) the TONER! Or Lotion Essence if you want to be fancy…
So, what is a facial toner and what exactly does it do for your skin? Generally, a toner is a water-based liquid that is used after cleansing, and can remove excess oils and dead skin cells still lurking on the face after cleansing. So is the toner only necessary for those with greasy or acne-prone skin? Definitely not! Today’s toners/ lotion essences have evolved to become facial boosters, multiplying the efficacy of your serums and creams by having ingredients/ materials that complement them and aid in the skin’s absorption of the active ingredients.
1. It balances your skin pH: Our skin is naturally acidic, normally with a pH balance of between five and six. After cleansing, due to the alkaline nature of soap, the pH balance of skin gets disturbed. When this happens your skin needs to work overtime to restore the balance (and that may result in excessive sebum production), but using a facial toner helps to restore this balance quickly. Having a balanced pH means your skin is less prone to oiliness and infection, creating a healthier and smoother appearance.
2. It refreshes your skin: Facial toner is your skin’s wake up call. It instantly refreshes and invigorates your skin’s senses, leaving behind that exhausted and sleep-deprived “I was partying all night” look. Tip: always leave a toner in the refrigerator and use it as an emergency cure for your skin hangover! It will revitalize your asphyxiated skin, even when you’re on-the-go.
3. It adds a layer of protection: Facial toners can help to shrink pores after cleansing, thus reducing the penetration of impurities and environmental toxins such as smoke, smog and other chemical residues into your skin. It can even protect your skin by removing chlorines and minerals present in tap water. This helps your skin look brighter and healthier. Long-term benefits for your skin include reduced acne scarring and diminished fine lines.
4. It moisturizes your skin: Some facial toners are humectants, which means that they help to bind moisture to the skin. They provide hydration to your skin, which is essential to maintaining elasticity, smoothness, moisture and a more youthful appearance. Proper skin hydration also reduces the signs of aging skin and provides an effective base for the application of facial cosmetics.
5. It preps your skin: New-age toners/ lotion essences, boost the efficacy of your skincare regime. Besides containing vitamins and other essential skin nutrients to keep your skin moist and supple, they also soothe, repair, and smoothen the skin’s surface—promoting exfoliation and minimizing signs of redness and inflammation. More importantly, they also help prep your skin for the rest of your skincare regime, maximizing the absorption of the serums and creams to be applied thereafter.
How to apply toners: After cleansing and rinsing your skin, pat dry with a clean towel. Apply toner onto a cotton pad or toner cloth and apply it on your face and neck. Follow with a serum and moisturizer.
How to apply lotion essences: After cleansing and rinsing your skin, pat dry with a clean towel. Apply lotion essence directly on your face and neck. Pat gently until fully absorbed. Follow with a serum and moisturizer. [Lotion essences contain a higher concentration of actives so you wouldn’t want to waste it on a cotton pad!]
TIP: Make sure to leave your skin damp with toner when you use your moisturizer, it will help to seal in the hydrating properties.
The bottom line: So… this might just be the “gem” that’s hidden in plain sight!
If you’re looking for something that eliminates dirt, grease and grime to help clear your complexion and make the rest of your products work better, the TONER could just be that cherry on the pie!
GIVEAWAY: We are giving away our newly launched ést.lab ActivCalm Skin Calming Lotion Essence to ONE lucky reader! Simply follow us on Instagram and add the hashtag #estlabtoner to your post on Instagram and we will choose a winner!!
*T&Cs: Giveaway is open to people residing in Singapore only. Submission of entries will close on 23rd August 2017, 23:59. One winner will be chosen and notified by 25th August 2017. Prize has to be collected from Estetica @ Plaza Singapura #06-18 within 1 month of notification, otherwise the prize will be forfeited. Prizes are non-refundable and non-exchangeable for cash. Estetica management has to the right to amend terms and conditions of the giveaways as it deems fit.
In good hands,
Send this to a friend